Labels

Monday 15 October 2018

End of Season 2018.


Well it was a strange year with the hot weather and low water conditions so I gave the salmon and seatrout a rest and decided to rekindle some of my old passion for river trout fishing, not monster trout fishing but the nice sized spotties that were the mainstay of my fly fishing when I was younger.

I went through my old fly boxes and decided to try out some of my old killer patterns which worked over thirty years ago actually over forty but who's counting decades.The amazing thing is they still pulled trout, old ,worn and slightly tattered but they still worked just a small bit of sharpening to the hooks and they caught fish. With my confidence up I decided to give some of my old Soft hackled spiders a revamp with some of the new materials I had in my box and put these to the test.

 They worked a treat so much so that I caught an incredible amount of trout including salmon and sea trout and even at night. I was amazed to say the least to see good trout take a size 14 or 16 very sparsely dressed fly at night in the dark, normally I would fish heavily dressed patterns but these spider / nymph patterns worked very well so well that the takes were explosive something like  fishing Diawl bachs where the line gets ripped from your hands so confident were the takes. I fished these in all areas upstream, across and down, downstream, stripping it didn't matter the trout still took the flies with confidence and the amazing thing is that it only takes a couple of minutes to tie these with only a few materials.The amount of fun I had tying the flies and using them and especially fooling smart educated trout was great and this led me on to tying even more simple patterns and in turn these worked. I think a simple book outlining the tying and fly patterns is on the cards as it wouldn't take long to write and with a few simple add ons like leader set up, line,rod etc., it would be a successful tool to all fly anglers regardless of skillset. Watch out around Christmas it might be in the angling section of your local bookstore. P.S the video will be out soon to show how well they work and even in the worst conditions possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment